Supervisor: Highpoint Center’s Master Printer
Exempt, 2-year salaried position (full-time at 40 hours/ week)
Application deadline: Tuesday, January 2, 2018
Highpoint Center for Printmaking is excited to announce a new, 2-year rotating Apprenticeship opportunity though Highpoint Editions.
This unique opportunity is designed to give training and experience through working in a professional print studio on in-depth projects in a range of print media. Highpoint Editions collaborates with a roster of local, national and international artists; published work has been acquired by the permanent collections of over 50 major public museum and private corporate collections.
The Apprentice Printer will work with the Artistic Director/Master Printer and Senior Printer to prepare and execute projects in all areas of Highpoint’s operation. The main emphasis of their job will be the preparation and printing of Highpoint Editions’ visiting artist publications. The Apprentice Printer will also regularly work with the Studio Manager and other staff to complete tasks for the larger organization, Highpoint Center for Printmaking.
The Apprentice Printer must successfully blend attention to detail, initiative, strong interpersonal and organizational skills, and a high degree of professionalism while working for a small organization with a wide range of daily activities. A successful applicant will be dependable, flexible, and an organized self-starter and will have grounded knowledge of traditional printmaking processes.
On a daily basis, the Apprentice Printer will be expected to:
Work closely with, and take direction from the Master Printer and Senior Printer to help complete Highpoint Editions publications. This will entail:
- Printing, curating, documenting, storing, and shipping of publications at the highest standards;
- The professional preparation of materials such as printing matrices, inks, paper;
- Helping clean, organize, and maintain the professional studio;
- Assisting in the orientation and training of new studio interns;
- Act as a representative of Highpoint and conduct all work relationships in a professional manner.
- Recognize and act on their role supporting the larger organization and its mission.
On a regular basis, the Apprentice Printer will be expected to:
- Assist with the day-to-day studio operations of Highpoint Center for Printmaking
- Assist with other projects as needed
- Assist with special events.
Work hours are 9 – 5 Mon – Fri (40 hrs./wk.); plus, occasional weekend and evening hours due to special events and gallery hours, totaling approximately 10 hours per month.
The position comes with the rights and responsibilities afforded all Highpoint employees per HP’s employee guidelines. All Highpoint employees are required to be familiar with and follow all of HP’s guidelines, rules, and organizational chart. The Master Printer reviews and evaluates this position biannually with input from the Senior Printer. The Apprentice Printer reports to the Master Printer, but is expected to work closely with and take direction from the Senior Printer and on occasion from the Executive Director or Studio Manager.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (preferably in printmaking; equivalent work experience considered)
- Mature outlook, positive attitude, and self-confidence working with others
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task a wide variety of projects
- Flexible, creative, and efficient problem-solver
- Master of Fine Art degree in Printmaking
- Working knowledge of intaglio, lithography, screen, and relief printing
- Digital skills are appreciated, but preference is given to applicants with strong traditional printmaking skills and knowledge.
- Full-time position $30,000.00 salaried, 2-year contract
- Paid sick leave/personal time off, vacation and 9 major holidays
- Opportunity to participate in HP’s health plan (50% contribution by HP)
- Yearly $500 stipend for professional development opportunities
- Discounts on print classes and events
- Free studio access
- Chance to be part of a close-knit team of art and community advocates, and to contribute your own ideas and skills in a meaningful way
To apply, please submit:
- Applicants should submit:
- A resume (2 pages max). In addition to professional/work information, the resume should also list 3 professional references with their contact information
- A 1-page cover letter detailing professional experience and highlighting any unique qualifications/skills you can bring to Highpoint.
- All materials should include name and current contact information (address, e-mail, phone)
Applications accepted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 2, 2018 (at midnight). Include “Apprentice Printer” in subject line of email.
Or mail all materials to the following address (must be received by January 2, 2018).
Job Search: Apprentice Printer
Highpoint Center for Printmaking
912 Lake Street West, Minneapolis, MN 55408
No calls, please.
Highpoint is a federally registered, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization. Highpoint is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, nationality, orientation, religion, ability, or age. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.